As summer temperatures rise, so do your cooling expenses. Making some quick changes or longer-term investments can help reduce your energy demand, save money and beat the summer heat! Explore this guide to see what practices your business could adopt and how MidAmerican’s energy efficiency programs can help you meet your goals.
Turn it off to cool it down
- Turn off the lights when not in use: break rooms, conference rooms and bathrooms don’t need the lights on all the time. Sensor or motion-activated lights make this a no-brainer.
- If your office or retail shop has natural light, don’t flip on your overhead lights on sunny days. On the flipside, the blazing afternoon sun can really heat up your office. High-quality window coverings are worth the investment.
- Consider moving work desks and meeting spaces away from windows that get a lot of direct sunlight to keep everyone cool and avoid overworking your office comfort systems.
- Did you know upgrading to LED lighting fixtures can save up to 50% or more on business lighting costs? Plus, LED light bulbs emit less heat and last 20 times longer than traditional incandescent bulbs.
- Need help in determining an energy-efficient lighting strategy? Contact our energy efficiency team at 800-432-8583 to learn how our Nonresidential Energy Solutions program can help meet your business’s energy goals.
Turn it up to save
- During the hot summer months, program your thermostat to raise the temperature when your facility is closed. Is your staff on a hybrid or shift schedule? Be sure your temperature control settings reflect that as well!
- Operating fans in warehouses, showrooms or break rooms will help keep the air flowing, which puts less stress on your HVAC unit.
- Your A/C system can have an impact on the energy efficiency of your business. Older units can contribute to higher bills. If you find yourself having to closely monitor or overcorrect your system, it might be time to trade up. Our rebate offers on cooling systems for qualified customers can help make that investment easier.
- Need help in determining the right HVAC system for your business? Contact our energy efficiency team at 800-432-8583 to learn more about our Nonresidential Energy Solutions program.
Turn off the hum of office equipment
- Manage your computer network to ensure computers go into low-power or “sleep” mode after a period of inactivity. Decommission any server room equipment that is operating but unused.
- Use advanced or smart power strips that can turn off accessory devices when the main control device – like a computer or projector – is idle.
- Upgrade to ENERGY STAR®-certified computers, servers, uninterruptable power supplies, printers, copiers, etc. when replacing equipment.
- Do you have a data center, server room or other IT space that needs updating? Contact our energy efficiency team at 877-939-1874 to learn more about our Data Center Advantage program.
Our business energy efficiency programs can help you save on energy costs and advance your sustainability goals. Explore the resources available to you or contact us at 877-932-0616.