New Electric Vehicle Purchase Incentive
Through December 31, 2019, MidAmerican Energy is offering Iowa customers an incentive for the purchase or lease of a new electric vehicle. To qualify for the incentive, you must:
- Be a MidAmerican Energy residential electric customer in Iowa whose account is in good standing.
- Purchase or lease a new electric vehicle between March 8, 2019 and December 31, 2019.
- Have your electric vehicle Iowa Department of Transportation registration registered to your primary residence.
- Ensure the name on the Department of Transportation registration matches the primary MidAmerican Energy customer name and address.
- Have your primary residence receive electricity from MidAmerican Energy.
- Provide a copy of your vehicle invoice with a zeroed-out balance, purchase finance agreement or executed lease contract with a completed residential electric vehicle incentive form.
There are three ways to charge electric vehicles:
- Level 1 – Uses a standard 120-volt outlet. Most plug-in electric vehicles will require 8 to 12 hours to fully charge.
- Level 2 – Uses a 240-volt rated charging station. Charging time is typically 4 to 8 hours.
- Level 3 – DC Quick Charge uses a 480-volt connection. Charging time is 30 to 45 minutes.
Vehicle charging equipment installation costs vary depending on the configuration of your home or business' electrical circuits, local code requirements and the type of equipment installed.
Electric Vehicles for Business
For Iowa businesses interested in providing electric vehicle charging for employees or to attract customers, we’re offering a $1,500 incentive toward the purchase of a qualifying level 2 charger. Download and complete the non-residential EV charger application.
Before Installing a Charging Station
Contact MidAmerican Energy at 888-427-5632 prior to installing a charging station at your home or business. A MidAmerican Energy representative will:
- Meet with you and conduct an evaluation to determine if electric facilities need to be upgraded. If facility upgrades are needed, the property owner may be required to pay a portion of costs related to the upgrade.
- Prepare a facility upgrade estimate, if necessary. If you approve the estimate, MidAmerican Energy will complete any necessary facility upgrades.
- Notify you when it is safe to operate your home or business' charging station.
Charging Your Vehicle
The best time to charge a vehicle is at night or on weekends during off-peak hours, when electricity demand and costs are lowest. MidAmerican does not offer special rates for vehicle charging; however, MidAmerican does offer optional residential time-of-use rates which may provide savings to customers who have the ability to shift significant usage, including electric vehicle charging, to nights and weekends.
For additional information or assistance, email: email@example.com.