MidAmerican’s current gas delivery rates have been in place since 2002. Over the last 20 years, our operational costs have increased to the point that our current distribution rates no longer reflect the actual cost of serving our Iowa customers. This rate increase will ensure we can continue to make the system investments required to maintain and deliver safe, reliable natural gas service.
Despite this pending rate increase, most customers will experience lower overall gas bills compared to last year even after the increase takes effect. This is due to the steady decline of natural gas market prices – a separate line item that is not included in our base rates.
Frequently Asked Questions
MidAmerican projects its request would result in an average increase of 6% to monthly gas bills in Iowa. If approved, the average residential customer's bill would increase by less than $5 per month.
The increase will allow us to continue to deliver on our commitment to Iowa customers – providing safe and reliable gas service. This includes ensuring the integrity of our current systems, as well as completing projects like:
Infrastructure expansion to serve rapidly growing areas in Iowa
Integrity management projects required to comply with safety regulations
System reliability enhancements
Government-mandated municipal infrastructure projects that require the relocation of facilities
After the rate case is filed, MidAmerican will put temporary rates into effect for Iowa gas customers in late June 2023. The Iowa Utilities Board (IUB) will make a final determination on the rate case no later than April 2024. If the final rates approved by the IUB are lower than the temporary rate increase, the difference will be refunded to you as a credit on your bill, plus interest.
- Sioux City – 6 p.m., Monday, July 24, 2023, Sioux City Convention Center, 801 Fourth St.
- Waterloo – 6 p.m., Wednesday, July 26, 2023, Majestic Moon, 1955 Locke Ave.
- Des Moines – 6 p.m., Thursday, July 27, 2023, Holiday Inn Des Moines-Airport Conference Center, 6111 Fleur Drive
- Davenport – 6 p.m., Monday, July 31, 2023, The River Center, 136 E. Third St.
- Cedar Rapids – 6 p.m., Tuesday, August 1, 2023, The Olympic South Side Theater, 1202 Third St. SE, Suite 200
- Virtual – 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., Thursday, August 3, 2023. (visit the IUB's website to request call-in information)
Recently, the South Dakota Public Utilities Commission approved a MidAmerican gas delivery increase for South Dakota customers. We do not have plans to request an increase in Illinois or Nebraska at this time.