MidAmerican Energy provides all three essential processes as a bundled service.
1. Generation – producing or supplying electricity;
2. Transmission – bringing high-voltage electricity from the point of generation to substations and transformers that provide electricity to residential neighborhoods; and
3. Distribution – bringing reduced-voltage electricity to individual homes and businesses.
The Illinois Electric Service Customer Choice and Rate Relief Law of 1997
The Illinois Electric Service Customer Choice and Rate Relief Law of 1997 restructured the state's electric service industry. As a result, customers have choices about who supplies the generation portion of their electric power. Electricity is available from alternative retail electric suppliers certified by the Illinois Commerce Commission and registered with MidAmerican.
If you choose to change electric suppliers, you will move from MidAmerican's electric supply to another supplier that sells electricity in the Illinois competitive market. MidAmerican will continue to respond to your electric outages and other emergencies. MidAmerican will bill you for delivering your electricity, including maintenance of the delivery system and meter readings. You will receive an additional bill from the supplier that will be for the electric supply only.
When choosing an alternative retail electric supplier, consider how or where the electricity is produced, whether the supplier provides energy from renewable sources, overall price, and/or the best combination of price, services and incentives.
To serve MidAmerican customers, an alternative retail electric supplier must be certified by the Illinois Commerce Commission and registered with MidAmerican as a retail supplier. View retail electric suppliers
registered in MidAmerican’s service area.
The customer must provide authorization to the alternative retail electric supplier, including the customer's MidAmerican account number, before the switch can occur.
MidAmerican cautions customers to treat personal, financial, utility account and meter information as confidential. Only provide such information when you have a clear understanding of how it will be used. If you have questions, call us at 888-427-5632.
Resources for Customers
If you are considering switching to an alternate retail electric supplier review the following available resources:
No meter service providers are registered in MidAmerican's service area.
Before providing service, a supplier must disclose to a customer:
- The supplier's rate and any additional charges the customer must pay, including early termination fees.
- A statement indicating the electric service associated with an account number will be provided by the new supplier.
- The length of the contract and any renewal clauses.
- A statement that the customer may rescind the contract and pending enrollment within 10 days.
- A statement that MidAmerican remains responsible for the delivery of power and energy.
- The new supplier must obtain verifiable authorization from the customer that includes:
- The customer's name, service address and MidAmerican account number;
- The pricing, terms and conditions of the retail electric supplier’s offer to switch; and
- A confirmation that the customer has chosen to switch to an alternative retail electric supplier.
If the customer chooses to switch, the new supplier will notify MidAmerican.
MidAmerican will send the customer a confirmation of the switch, including the date on which service will begin with the new supplier. The switch date normally will be the next scheduled meter read date.
Resources for Suppliers