The utility imposter scam is the most common utility scam. It begins with a phone call from someone who claims they’re with MidAmerican, that for some reason the company did not receive payment, and they threaten to shut off utility service unless the customer agrees to their demand to pay immediately by phone. Scammers often seek payment through reloadable money cards, digital payment apps, money wire transfers or even gift cards, such as Amazon or iTunes cards.
Customers should follow these steps to protect themselves from utility imposter scams:
- If you are a MidAmerican customer who is past due, your bill will show the amount. Customers may also receive a letter or disconnect notice. In cases of potential disconnections due to nonpayment, MidAmerican will always send a disconnection notice and will attempt to call prior to a disconnection. In some cases, MidAmerican will also leave a final notification at the customer’s door.
- MidAmerican accepts many forms of payment but does not demand a specific payment method by phone. MidAmerican will never ask for payment via a gift card.
- If you suspect anything is unusual about a phone call from someone who identifies themselves as a MidAmerican employee, hang up the phone. Do not call the number that appears on caller ID or that the caller provides – even if it seems legitimate. Call the MidAmerican number that appears on your monthly bill or on the company website at MidAmericanEnergy.com. That number is 888-427-5632.
- Unless you are certain you are speaking with a MidAmerican employee, do not provide personal or financial information. If unsure, hang up and call MidAmerican.
- If you have any questions about the status of your account, including payment status, call MidAmerican. If you are enrolled in My Account, you can check your account status online at any time.
- If you think you’ve been scammed, report it to your local law enforcement agency, and you can also report it to MidAmerican online or by phone.
MidAmerican Energy, headquartered in Des Moines, Iowa, serves 813,000 electric customers in Iowa, Illinois and South Dakota, and 789,000 natural gas customers in Iowa, Illinois, Nebraska and South Dakota. Information about MidAmerican Energy is available at midamericanenergy.com and company social media channels.