Did you know that phantom load costs U.S. consumers more than $10 billion a year?
- Unplug devices that you don’t use often, such as DVD players, stereos or TVs in spare rooms.
- Energy saver settings are available on most electronics. Check your settings to see if you can make your devices more efficient with settings like shut-off timers and screen dim.
- Power strips are the best way to organize the tangle of cords behind your entertainment system or computer. Consider buying an advanced power strip that automatically turns extra equipment off when not in use.
- Remove chargers for phones, tablets and smart watches from the outlet when not in use.
- Buy ENERGY STAR® certified products when you purchase new appliances. Many use no or low power when not in use.