Look up and look out! Keep ladders, augers and any farm equipment far away from power lines for your safety and that of those working around you.
Don’t cut corners when it comes to your safety, especially when working around power lines.
- Plan your route. Know the required clearances near your grain bins to make sure the wiring on your property is compliant.
- Prepare for transport. Lower augers to transport level near power lines. Know the height of your cultivator or planter in the fold-up position. Your equipment may be taller in transport than during field use.
- Stay grounded. Always make sure your auger system has a good ground connection.
- Stay put. If your tractor comes in contact with a power line, remain seated until help arrives. Many electrocutions occur when the operator dismounts and lands incorrectly or tries to climb back on.
- Exit safely. If there is immediate danger, like a fire, put your feet together and jump as far away from the tractor as you can – keep your feet together as you land and shuffle as you move away. Do not allow any part of your body to contact the ground and electrified equipment at the same time.