MidAmerican Energy News
MidAmerican Energy Offers Budget Billing and Energy-Saving Tips to Help Manage Cooling Bills This Summer
DES MOINES, Iowa – (July 7, 2016) – Temperatures are climbing this summer, but that doesn’t mean your cooling bills have to. MidAmerican Energy offers billing solutions and tips to help customers keep their summer energy bills in check.
Due to a warmer than normal spring, MidAmerican Energy customers used about 10 percent more energy in June than last year as air conditioners worked overtime.
To avoid being surprised by high bills this summer, MidAmerican Energy encourages customers to sign up for its Budget Billing
program. The program is free and spreads payments out evenly over the entire year, so customers pay the same amount each month. While Budget Billing is not a discount program and offers no savings or lower rates, you do get the convenience of a more predictable bill.
“Knowing how much to budget each month for your energy bills can make paying them easier,” said Terry Ousley, vice president, customer service for MidAmerican Energy. “We encourage any customer who is struggling to pay a high energy bill to call us. We want to work with them to find a solution that meets their needs.”
The monthly amount for budget billing is calculated by averaging a customer’s past usage history and projected energy prices. The amount is reviewed every three or six months. During the review process, a customer’s average monthly cost is recalculated. If the budget bill amount is adjusted, a new budget amount will start with the next bill.
In addition to managing their bills, customers can implement five simple steps to help keep costs down.
1. Keep your thermostat set at 78 degrees or higher during the summer. Consider using a programmable thermostat that automatically adjusts the temperature when you’re asleep or away to save even more.
2. Keep drapes and blinds closed on hot, sunny days. This helps reduce the amount of solar heat coming in through the windows.
3. Consider using fans to supplement air conditioning. Dialing up the thermostat by just 2 degrees and using your ceiling fan can lower air-conditioning costs by up to 14 percent over the course of the cooling season.
4. Use heat-generating appliances such as ovens, dishwashers and clothes dryers during the cool of the late evening or early morning. Better yet, hang clothes to dry or cook outdoors on the grill and avoid turning on appliances at all.
5. Make sure air registers and radiators aren’t being blocked by objects in your home. In addition, be sure to dust or vacuum registers or radiators on a regular basis.
Visit our website for more energy-saving tips
. To sign up for Budget Billing log in to My Account
or call 888-427-5632.
About MidAmerican Energy Company
MidAmerican Energy Company is an energy provider serving 752,000 electric customers and 733,000 natural gas customers in Iowa, Illinois, Nebraska and South Dakota. It is headquartered in Des Moines, Iowa. Information about MidAmerican Energy is available on the company’s website, Twitter, Facebook and YouTube pages, which can be accessed via MidAmerican Energy Company's website