MidAmerican Energy News
Manage Your Cooling Costs this Summer with HomeCheck®
DES MOINES, Iowa – (June 9, 2016) – With temperatures expected to hit 90 degrees this week, air conditioners will be working longer and harder. MidAmerican Energy encourages customers to schedule a HomeCheck
now in order to prevent cooling costs from heating up this summer.
HomeCheck is an on-site, free energy assessment that provides valuable insight into your home’s energy usage. Here are eight things to know about HomeCheck.
1. More than 3,000 MidAmerican Energy customers have already participated in a HomeCheck this year.
2. During a HomeCheck, an energy expert will walk through your home and look for energy-saving opportunities. They’ll evaluate your heating and cooling systems, water heating equipment, appliances, lighting, windows and doors.
3. The energy expert will measure your home’s insulation levels and advise you on whether more insulation should be added. Having good insulation can save up to 20 percent on heating and cooling costs.
4. You’ll receive a report of where your highest energy costs are and get tips on how to save energy and money.
5. Customers interested in making recommended improvements can visit MidAmerican Energy’s Trade Ally Partners
search tool to find contractors knowledgeable about the company’s rebate and energy efficiency programs, making it easier for you to apply and qualify for rebates.
6. As part of HomeCheck, the energy expert may make free improvements on the spot by installing devices such as a programmable thermostat, smart power strip, energy efficient light bulbs, low-flow shower head or faucet aerator.
7. To qualify for a HomeCheck, your home must be at least 10 years old and MidAmerican Energy must supply the primary heating fuel to your home. Complete the Home Energy Request
form online or call 800-545-0762 to schedule a HomeCheck.
8. Generally, HomeChecks occur within a few weeks after they are scheduled.
If your home is less than 10 years old or you are not ready to schedule a HomeCheck, you can take a free online energy assessment by visiting www.midamericanenergy.com/homeaudit
. The online energy assessment provides an overview of your energy usage and offers energy saving tips to help you reduce and save.
To learn more about HomeCheck and other energy-saving tips, visit www.midamericanenergy.com
and select the Rebates/Energy Savings tab.
About MidAmerican Energy Company
MidAmerican Energy Company is an energy provider serving 752,000 electric customers and 733,000 natural gas customers in Iowa, Illinois, Nebraska and South Dakota. It is headquartered in Des Moines, Iowa. Information about MidAmerican Energy is available on the company’s website, Twitter, Facebook and YouTube pages, which can be accessed via MidAmerican Energy Company's website