MidAmerican Energy News
MidAmerican Energy and Alliant Energy Warn Customers of Phone Scams
DES MOINES, Iowa – (March 3, 2016) – MidAmerican Energy and Alliant Energy are teaming up to fight back against telephone scams. Phone billing scams targeting utility customers are a daily battle for electric and gas companies. Many customers have lost money because they provided the scam callers with a credit card number or a prepaid debit card.
Since the beginning of the year, customers of MidAmerican Energy and Alliant Energy have reported more than 400 fraudulent calls. Utility fraud schemes have swept the nation, targeting residential and business customers. In Iowa, small businesses and Spanish-speaking customers seem to be the most frequent targets.
In most scam cases, callers pose as utility employees and threaten to shut off power unless the customer makes a payment. Scammers are persistent and aggressive. They use sophisticated methods to trick customers, which include:
• Spoofing Caller ID to make the call appear as if it is coming from the utility.
• Requiring customers to make an immediate payment using either a credit card over the phone or a pre-paid (Green Dot) card.
• Impersonating energy auditors in an attempt to get inside homes or businesses.
• Intimidating customers by showing up at their front doors or claiming a crew is en route to disconnect service.
• Claiming there is an issue with electric or natural gas service equipment inside or outside the house and requesting immediate payment.
Customers who receive a suspicious call should hang up and call local police and their energy provider to report the scam and check on the status of their account. Call MidAmerican Energy at 1-888-427-5632 or Alliant Energy at 1-800-255-4268.
Protecting customers from scams is a top priority for Alliant Energy and MidAmerican Energy. They want to educate customers on how to avoid falling victim. If customers are behind on bills, they will receive several notifications; disconnection is a last resort, not a first step in the process. Both companies accept many different forms of payment. A specific payment method is never required when paying your bill.
Customers should follow these steps to stay safe:
• Never give out personal information such as credit card or account numbers. Utilities will not ask for this information over the phone.
• Ask for proper identification from anyone who approaches you. Call your energy provider to verify the purpose for the visit. Use the number published on the website or in the phone book.
For more information, visit Alliant Energy's
or MidAmerican Energy's
website or watch this informative video
About MidAmerican Energy Company
MidAmerican Energy Company provides electric service to 752,000 customers and natural gas service to 733,000 customers in Iowa, Illinois, Nebraska and South Dakota. It is headquartered in Des Moines, Iowa. Information about MidAmerican Energy is available on the company’s website, Twitter, Facebook and YouTube pages, which can be accessed via MidAmerican Energy Company's website
About Alliant Energy
Alliant Energy Corporation’s Iowa utility subsidiary, Interstate Power and Light Company (IPL), utilizes the trade name of Alliant Energy. The Iowa utility is based in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and provides electric service to 487,000 customers and natural gas service to 226,000 customers in over 600 communities. The employees of Alliant Energy focus on delivering the energy solutions and exceptional service their customers and communities expect – safely, efficiently and responsibly. Visit alliantenergy.com
or call 1-800-ALLIANT (800-255-4268) for more information. Alliant Energy Corporation is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol LNT.