MidAmerican Energy News
Cut Your Energy Costs This Heating Season with HomeCheck®
DES MOINES, Iowa – (Jan. 7, 2016) – Sunday is National Cut Your Energy Costs Day. In observance, MidAmerican Energy Company advises customers to take advantage of HomeCheck as a first step in lowering their monthly bill and becoming more energy efficient.
“If your New Year’s resolution is to spend less and save more, scheduling a HomeCheck is an easy place to start,” said Tina Yoder, director, energy efficiency for MidAmerican Energy. “HomeCheck provides an understanding for where your home uses the most energy and what upgrades will give you the biggest bang for your buck.”
MidAmerican Energy’s HomeCheck
is a free online or on-site energy assessment program that provides valuable insight into your home’s energy usage. During an on-site assessment, an energy specialist analyzes features of your home such as your heating and cooling systems, appliances, insulation levels, lighting, windows and doors, and points out energy-saving opportunities. The specialist may make immediate upgrades by installing devices such as a programmable thermostat, smart power strip, LED light bulbs, low-flow shower head or faucet aerator at no additional cost.
To schedule an on-site HomeCheck, fill out a form
online or call 800-545-0762. Participants must be MidAmerican Energy customers residing in homes more than 10 years old. Customers with newer homes can participate in an online HomeCheck, which compares your home’s energy use to similar homes in your neighborhood. To learn more, visit the Iowa and Illinois
or Nebraska and South Dakota
online assessment pages on MidAmerican Energy’s website.
In addition to a HomeCheck, there are several quick and easy ways to cut your energy costs:
• Make sure your home has adequate insulation. This is one of the best ways to maintain a uniform temperature within your home, reduce the amount of heat that escapes and keep you warmer.
• Service your furnace. A yearly tune-up by a licensed contractor can ensure that your heating system is running efficiently and safely.
• Change your filters. A dirty filter makes the system work harder and use more energy. At a minimum, you should change your filter every three months. It may need replaced more during heavy use months, such as winter.
• Keep your thermostat at 68 degrees or lower in the winter. For every degree below 68, you’ll reduce your energy use by approximately four percent over a 24-hour period.
• Consider installing a programmable thermostat that automatically adjusts the temperature lower when you’re asleep or away.
For more energy efficiency tips, visit www.midamericanenergy.com
About MidAmerican Energy Company
MidAmerican Energy Company provides electric service to 746,000 customers and natural gas service to 726,000 customers in Iowa, Illinois, Nebraska and South Dakota. It is headquartered in Des Moines, Iowa. Information about MidAmerican Energy is available on the company’s website, Twitter, Facebook and YouTube pages, which can be accessed via MidAmerican Energy Company's website