MidAmerican Energy News
MidAmerican Energy Employees to Plant Nearly 1,300 Trees at Polk County Wildlife Park
DES MOINES, Iowa – (May 1, 2015) – MidAmerican Energy Company employees, Living Lands & Waters and Polk County Conservation will join community volunteers today to plant 1,290 trees at Chichaqua Wildlife Habitat in Polk County, Iowa.
“The initiative is part of our continued efforts to promote the benefits of trees and beautify the communities in which our customers and employees live and work,” said Regan Kunzman who oversees the tree planting program at MidAmerican Energy.
The trees were funded through MidAmerican Energy’s Trees for Electronic Billing Program, in which the company donated $1 for every customer who signed up for electronic billing. In 2014, 45,120 customers chose to go paperless. The trees are planted by employees in MidAmerican Energy’s service territory.
“Since the program began in 2008, MidAmerican Energy employees have planted 26,586 trees,” said Kunzman. “That’s something our customers should be proud of. By signing up for electronic billing, they continue to save paper and improve the environment.”
Kunzman said customers who sign up for electronic billing receive an email with a link to their bill each month. Customers can enroll in electronic billing by calling MidAmerican Energy at 888-427-5632 or by creating an online account at www.midamericanenergy.com
.Tree planting safety tips:
• Call 811, your local One Call, before you plant to have underground utilities marked.
• Plant tall-growing trees at least 20 feet away from power lines.
• Plant low-growing trees (mature height less than 18 feet) at least 10 feet away from power lines.
• Plant low-growing shrubs, bushes and flowers nearest to utility poles.
• Plant shrubs, trees, rock gardens and fences at least 10 feet away from the access door of the underground electrical box and three feet away from the other sides.
• As plants grow, trim the foliage to maintain minimum clearance so utility crews can access electrical equipment when necessary.
Additional planting information can be found on MidAmerican Energy’s website under Forestry Services
. About MidAmerican Energy Company
MidAmerican Energy Company provides electric service to 746,000 customers and natural gas service to 726,000 customers in Iowa, Illinois, Nebraska and South Dakota. It is headquartered in Des Moines, Iowa. Information about MidAmerican Energy is available on the company’s website, Twitter, Facebook and YouTube pages, which can be accessed via MidAmerican Energy Company's website