Most MidAmerican Energy customers have automated meter reading technology, which allows MidAmerican Energy to obtain actual meter readings from a company vehicle. MidAmerican Energy will, however, continue to manually read some meters.
If your meter reader is unable to safely access a meter to obtain a read, your energy usage will be estimated. To ensure the safety of service personnel:
- Keep animals restrained or confined when a MidAmerican Energy employee is at your property.
- Make sure steps and doors are in good repair.
- Clear ice/snow from walks and steps.
- Have meters free of obstacles or debris.
- Keep the path to the meter free of hazards.
- If there is ice buildup on your gas meter, call MidAmerican Energy at 888-427-5632.
Lock boxes are available to assist MidAmerican in accessing multi-unit buildings. The lock box is owned and installed by MidAmerican at no charge, and will contain customer-provided keys that allow service personnel access to MidAmerican Energy’s meters and equipment. Contact our business advantage team at 800-329-6261 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. Specialists are available Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 6 p.m., excluding holidays.