Energy Assessment Insulation Details
For Business Customers in Iowa
An on-site building assessment is required prior to beginning an insulation project in order to qualify for
an insulation rebate. Any improvements made prior to the assessment are ineligible for rebates.
The beginning R-value and building square footage determined in the building assessment will be used for the
rebate calculation. To schedule an assessment, contact a representative before the project is started.
- Agribusiness and Multifamily Housing – 877-401-4059
- Commercial Energy Solutions – 800-292-6448
- Industrial Partners – 800-432-8583
View our insulation table and the Iowa Energy Code for insulation.
Note: The following information applies to all types of insulation:
- An on-site building assessment is required prior to beginning an insulation project in order to qualify for an insulation rebate.
- Program is for adding insulation to existing buildings only.
- Heating energy for the building must be purchased directly from MidAmerican Energy Company. If MidAmerican Energy provides only cooling energy, rebates are not available.
- The rebate amounts listed are based on heated and cooled space. Rebates for areas not cooled will be adjusted accordingly.
- Rebate will be paid based on the following fuel(s) provided by MidAmerican Energy:
- Heating and cooling, 100%
- Heating only (nonresidential building), 70%
- Heating only (multifamily building), 65%
- Cooling only, ineligible for rebate
- Rebates will not be paid directly to insulation contractors.
- All conventional insulation materials are eligible for rebates. No additional rebate is given for more expensive alternative insulation materials such as spray foam.
- Must have less than R-25 existing insulation to participate.
- Present insulation R-value must be brought up to the current Iowa Energy Code to qualify for a rebate. No rebates for attic/roof/ceiling insulation above Iowa Energy Code.
- Insulation added directly on top of suspended ceilings does not qualify.
- Radiant barriers are not eligible.
- Insulation is to be installed evenly and consistently throughout the attic and to not extend beyond the eaves.
- Damming material should be added to prevent insulation from restricting attic ventilation from soffit vents and to keep insulation from heat sources such as flues, lighting, etc.
- There must be no existing insulation installed to participate.
- There are no rebates for sidewall insulation above Iowa Energy Code.
How to Apply for Rebates
After the assessment is complete and insulation is installed, submit the building assessment details form and rebate application, both provided by the assessor, along with the contractor’s invoice to the appropriate program contact listed on the application.