We are prepared
Providing safe and reliable energy to our customers is important to all MidAmerican Energy employees. The critical service we provide is of even greater importance during severe weather, natural disasters or global pandemics, like the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. We have business continuity plans in place and regularly conduct crisis training exercises, so our teams are equipped to handle challenges and perform their work during difficult situations.
Extra safety precautions
With confirmed cases of COVID-19 growing in our service territory, our employees will begin taking extra safety precautions to protect you and the public at large. When work requires us to be in close contact with a customer or enter a customer's home, we will take the following steps:
- We will ask customers if anyone at the location is under self-isolation for the COVID-19 virus or experiencing flu-like symptoms.
- If a customer is under self-isolation for the COVID-19 virus, we will evaluate if it's safe to postpone the work until after the customer's isolation period ends.
- If the work must be completed, our front-line employees will be wearing additional personal protective equipment. This is a step we are taking out of an abundance of caution.
- If a customer requests that our employees wear a face mask or gloves before entering their home or working on their property, our employees will comply.
- We will respond to any and all emergency calls or issues no matter what, including gas leaks, downed power lines or broken poles. Find our contact information here.
- To support customers experiencing financial hardship or isolation as a result of the pandemic threat, MidAmerican has temporarily suspended all disconnections for non-payment. The company will work with customers who are impacted economically by COVID-19 by waiving deposits and fees for late payments and providing payment plans as needed. MidAmerican encourages any customer facing hardship to call us at 888-427-5632. We will make every effort to work with customers experiencing financial difficulties.
- Be aware of utility scams. Scammers threaten disconnecting service and demand immediate payment over the phone. MidAmerican Energy initially contacts customers by mail regarding payment matters and never demands instant payment by phone or only through one option such as a prepaid money card or money order. MidAmerican does not demand payments, or even accept payments, using retail store gift cards.
MidAmerican will continue to monitor the situation, communicate with our employees and customers, and coordinate with state and federal health organizations as necessary.
Steps you can take to mitigate the spread of COVID-19
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash. If a tissue is not available, cough or sneeze into the sleeve of your shirt or elbow – not your hands.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Minimize contact with people who are coughing or look ill.
- Consider your travel plans and check with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for outbreak updates.