South Dakota Rates
After a decade of stability in natural gas delivery rates, and nearly 20 years without an increase in electric base rates, MidAmerican Energy received approval from the South Dakota Public Utilities Commission on June 16, 2015, to implement rate increases for natural gas and electric customers.
The impact of the rate increases on customer bills will vary depending on the season and the customer’s usage levels. Over a 12-month period, the approximate average monthly increase for a residential customer will be:
- $4.00 for electric customers
- $0.50 for natural gas customers
MidAmerican Energy will refund customers the difference between the interim rates applied beginning February 1 and the new rates taking effect July 1, 2015, for gas and July 13, 2015, for electric, plus 7 percent interest. This one-time refund will appear as a line item called “account credit” on monthly bills issued in September. The amount of the credit will vary depending on the customer’s usage during the interim period.
- Residential electric customers will see an average credit of approximately $31.50.
- The average credit for residential gas customers will be approximately $4.50.
- South Dakota customers with both electric and natural gas service from MidAmerican Energy will see both credits combined on one line item, with the average combined credit for residential customers estimated to be approximately $36.00.