Preparing for an Outage
Make a safety kit.
Gather these supplies and put them somewhere that's easy to find in the dark:
Plan ahead with your family.
- Battery-powered radio
- Extra batteries for flashlights and radio
- A three-day supply of nonperishable food and water for everyone in your household
- Manual can opener
- Blankets and warm sweaters
- First-aid supplies
- Extra cash (in case local ATMs are down)
- Noncordless phone (cordless phones do not work during outages)
- Outage Safety Checklist. A printable pdf version of the checklist is available.
Make sure everyone in your family knows where the safety kit is stored. Review with children what to do if an outage happens while they are with a sitter or home alone.
Make arrangements for medical equipment.
If you or someone in your care has a condition that requires continuous or special medication or life support systems, or if your medications require constant refrigeration, contact your doctor about how to prepare for power outages.
Flashlights and emergency supplies will make it easier to cope in a power outage. We'll work with you to develop a back-up plan in the event of a power outage. Call MidAmerican Energy at 888-427-5632 for more information.
Adobe Acrobat Reader is required if you would like a printable pdf version of the Outage Safety Checklist. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader, you may click on the Get Acrobat Reader button to the right to download a free version of the program.