Home & Work Safety

Electrical Safety

Electrical Fires

Watch bulbs and cords.
Light bulbs can reach 300 degrees Fahrenheit and are an often-overlooked fire hazard. Overloaded outlets or faulty wires can also cause fires. Be sure to use extension cords that are rated to match the amperage of the appliance or equipment you plan to connect. And never run appliance or extension cords under rugs or furniture, as the cords can overheat and cause a fire.

Spot problems before they cause fire or shock.
Don't wait for an accident. Take action at once by calling a qualified repair person if you notice any of these danger signs:
  • Recurring problems with blowing fuses or tripping circuit breakers.
  • Feeling a tingle when you touch an electrical appliance.
  • Discoloration of wall outlets.
  • A burning smell or unusual odor coming from an appliance or wiring.
  • A sizzling sound at wall switches or outlets.
  • Flickering lights.
Appliances can get hot.
Keep any flammable items away from light bulbs, heaters, toasters and other electric appliances. Always turn off heating and cooking appliances before leaving the house.

Use appliances and electric cords wisely to prevent fire or shock.