Home & Work Safety

Emergencies

Electric Shock

Stay away from the victim.
If someone has been shocked, do NOT touch the person or anything he or she is touching. There's a chance the person may still be in contact with the source of the electricity. You could become part of electricity's path and be shocked or even killed!

Take these steps:
  1. Turn off the electricity to the building at the main breakers or service panel.
  2. Call for help (usually 911). Tell them it is an electrical accident.
  3. When the victim is not in contact with the source of electricity and you're sure there is no danger, give first aid for electrical injury. This may include CPR.
  4. Don't touch burns, break blisters or remove burned clothing. Electrical shock may cause burns inside the body that are not immediately apparent, so be sure the person is taken to a doctor.
Do not touch an electric shock victim unless you are sure he or she is no longer in contact with the source of electricity. You won't be much help if you get shocked too!