Home & Work Safety

Gas Safety

Carbon Monoxide

Know the facts.
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, tasteless, poisonous gas that can make you ill or even kill you. It can be produced when combustion of any fuel – heating oil, gasoline, diesel fuel, propane, kerosene, natural gas, coal or wood – takes place without sufficient oxygen.

Carbon monoxide can accumulate unnoticed.
Common sources include: gasoline engines running indoors, burning charcoal inside the house, fuel-burning space heating or water heating equipment that is inadequately vented, and blocked chimneys or vent pipes. The only way to tell if carbon monoxide is present is with a UL-listed carbon monoxide detector.

Guard against carbon monoxide poisoning.
Properly working carbon monoxide detectors can provide an early warning before the deadly gas builds up to a dangerous level. Exposure to a low concentration over several hours can be as dangerous as exposure to high carbon monoxide levels for a few minutes. Newer model sensors will detect both conditions. The risk of carbon monoxide poisoning can be reduced if you:
  • Have your heating system and any fuel-burning appliances and equipment inspected by a qualified professional every year, preferably before the start of each heating season.
  • Periodically check vents, flue pipes and chimneys for corrosion or blockages.
  • Never run a vehicle or fuel-burning equipment in an enclosed space.
  • Don't use barbecue grills indoors, and don't use a range or oven as a space heater.
  • Buy at least one UL-listed carbon monoxide detector for each level of your home, and follow the manufacturer's installation and operating instructions.
You can guard against carbon monoxide poisoning through proper appliance installation, maintenance and use. If your carbon monoxide detector is alarming or you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, leave your home immediately, seek medical attention for you and your family, and contact a qualified plumbing and heating dealer to make any necessary repairs.