For more information, contact:
Tina Potthoff, Media Relations Manager, at 515-281-2585
DES MOINES, Iowa – (Oct. 4, 2012) – Recipients of the 2012 Excellence in Energy Efficient Design Award recently were announced at the 2012 Iowa American Institute of Architects Convention in Des Moines, Iowa. The Excellence in Energy Efficient Design awards program recognizes outstanding efforts in reducing energy use. Award candidates are selected from projects whose builders participated in the Commercial New Construction Program offered by Alliant Energy, Black Hills Energy and MidAmerican Energy Company. Projects must have been completed between July 1, 2011, and June 30, 2012.
The Commercial New Construction Program provides energy design assistance and energy efficiency incentives to commercial customers for new construction, additions and renovation projects located in areas served by the three utilities.
Alliant Energy recognizes the following companies for reaching exceptional annual kBTU savings when compared to a code level baseline:
Black Hills Energy recognizes the following companies for reaching exceptional annual natural gas savings when compared to a code level baseline:
- FEH Associates Inc. for the Cedar Rapids Army National Guard Readiness Center in Cedar Rapids, achieving a 65 percent annual kBTU savings.
- OPN Architects, Inc. for Mount Mercy University – University Center’s renovation and addition in Cedar Rapids, achieving a 65 percent annual kBTU savings.
- OPN Architects, Inc. for the West Branch Community Schools gymnasium addition in West Branch, achieving a 61 percent annual kBTU savings.
- Solum Lang Architects, LLC for the Palo City Hall and Community Center in Palo, achieving a 60 percent annual kBTU savings.
- Straka Johnson Architects, P.C. for the ASAC – New Directions office facility in Clinton, achieving a 56 percent annual kBTU savings.
MidAmerican Energy recognizes the following companies for reaching exceptional annual kBTU savings when compared to a code level baseline:
- HGM Associates Inc. for the city of Council Bluffs’ operations facility in Council Bluffs, achieving a 52 percent annual natural gas savings.
- INVISION for Northeast Iowa Community College’s Health Sciences and Library renovation in Peosta, achieving a 50 percent annual natural gas savings.
- RDG Planning & Design for The World Food Prize – Hall of Laureates in Des Moines, achieving a 64 percent annual kBTU savings.
- Neumann Monson Wictor Architects for Sioux City Community Schools’ Liberty Elementary School in Sioux City, achieving a 62 percent annual kBTU savings.
- BCDM Architects for Council Bluffs Community School District’s Hoover Elementary renovation and addition in Council Bluffs, achieving a 61 percent annual kBTU savings.
- Ryan Companies US, Inc. for the Van Meter, Inc. – Iowa City branch in Iowa City, achieving a 61 percent annual kBTU savings.
- Benjamin Design Collaborative for the Franklin Avenue Library renovation and expansion in Des Moines, achieving a 56 percent annual kBTU savings.
Alliant Energy, Black Hills Energy and MidAmerican Energy thank the Iowa architectural community for its continued dedication to energy efficiency and participation in the Commercial New Construction Program.
Interstate Power and Light Company, based in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, provides electric service to 525,000 customers and natural gas service to 233,000 customers in more than 700 communities throughout Iowa and southern Minnesota. IPL is committed to providing the energy and exceptional service its customers and communities expect – safely, reliably and affordably. IPL is a subsidiary of Alliant Energy Corporation. Visit alliantenergy.com or call 1-800-ALLIANT (800-255-4268).
Black Hills Energy – Iowa Gas
Black Hills/Iowa Gas Utility Company, LLC d/b/a Black Hills Energy serves 151,000 natural gas customers in 130 Iowa communities and is a recipient of the U.S. EPA 2012 ENERGY STAR® Leadership in Housing Award. Black Hills Energy is a subsidiary of Black Hills Corp., a diversified energy company with a tradition of exemplary service and a vision to be the energy partner of choice. Black Hills Corp. is based in Rapid City, S.D., with corporate offices in Denver and Papillion, Neb. Black Hills Corp. serves 765,000 natural gas and electric utility customers in Colorado, Iowa, Kansas, Montana, Nebraska, South Dakota and Wyoming, and its non-regulated businesses generate wholesale electricity and produce natural gas, oil and coal. Black Hills Corp.’s 2,000 employees partner to produce results that are improving life with energy. More information is available at www.blackhillscorp.com.
MidAmerican Energy Company
MidAmerican Energy Company, Iowa’s largest energy company, provides electric service to 732,000 customers and natural gas service to 714,000 customers in Iowa, Illinois, Nebraska and South Dakota. It is headquartered in Des Moines, Iowa. Information about MidAmerican Energy is available on the company’s website, Twitter, Facebook and YouTube pages, which can be accessed via www.midamericanenergy.com.