All MidAmerican operating companies are dedicated to preventing and recycling wastes, as well as managing wastes according to strict regulatory guidelines. We minimize our environmental footprint by:
- Marketing fly ash, a by-product of coal combustion, as a cement additive or base material in construction projects, rather than sending it to a local landfill.
- Repairing transformers and other electrical equipment for reuse, some of which may reuse select oils.
- Recycling printer cartridges, paper, cardboard, wood and plastics utilized by our corporate offices.
- Supporting the recycling of aluminum cans, scrap metal, paper, cardboard, paints, drums, batteries, antifreeze and oil.
- Financially supporting programs that improve the rate at which our customers consume energy. This includes offering energy efficiency incentives and residential and commercial energy audits.
MidAmerican companies also pursue product substitution and conscience contractor oversight to minimize hazardous waste generation at its facilities. Because of these efforts, almost all facilities based in the United States are considered by the Environmental Protection Agency to be conditionally exempt small quantity generators, which is the lowest regulatory category of hazardous waste generators.