Variable Speed Drives Program
SOUTH DAKOTA NONRESIDENTIAL ELECTRIC ENERGY EFFICIENCY PROGRAM SUSPENSION
MidAmerican Energy Company has offered its Nonresidential Custom Systems, Nonresidential Equipment
(Variable-Speed Drives, Lighting Equipment, and Heating and Cooling Equipment) and BusinessCheck® programs to South Dakota
customers since 2009. Program participation is increasing as more customers become interested in saving energy and money
through energy efficiency.
Due to increased participation, 2013 program funding for the electric measures, projects, process improvements and energy
audits associated with the above-referenced programs is nearly depleted. As a result, MidAmerican Energy has suspended the
electric portions of the 2013 Nonresidential Custom Systems, Nonresidential Equipment and BusinessCheck programs.
Nonresidential natural gas measures, projects, process improvements and energy audits are not being suspended.
Residential energy efficiency programs (electric and natural gas) are not affected.
Please note these important points:
- MidAmerican Energy intends to resume the affected programs Jan. 1, 2014.
- If you currently are working on projects, you have until Aug. 15, 2013, to complete the installation and submit rebate applications. We will continue to process applications in the order received and as funding allows. Rebate applications received on or before Aug. 15, 2013, that cannot be paid in 2013 will be processed in early 2014.
- Projects completed and invoiced during the programs’ suspension from Aug. 16, 2013, through Dec. 31, 2013, will not be eligible for a rebate.
If you have questions about the programs or the status of a rebate application, call 800-318-8915 for the Nonresidential
Custom Systems program, 800-894-9599 for the Nonresidential Equipment program or 877-401-4059 for the BusinessCheck program.
MidAmerican Energy's Variable Speed Drives program offers our commercial and industrial
customers in South Dakota rebates for the installation of energy-efficient variable-speed
When Should You Install a Variable-Speed Drive?
Commercial and industrial
energy customers should consider installing variable-speed drive
equipment if the motors
are utilized for increased operating hours and have a higher
variability of loads on the
system (pumps, fans and blowers) or the application of use
includes mechanical throttling
(valves, dampers, etc.). Variable-speed drives match the
speed of the motor-driven
equipment to the process requirement. Applications with low
variability of loads such as
vibrating conveyors, punch presses, rock crushers, machine
tools and other applications
where the motor runs at constant speed are not eligible
for a rebate. The variable-speed drive
rebate is $40 per horsepower of
the driven motor or 70 percent of the installed cost
(reasonable labor and material). Cost
of clean rooms to house variable-speed drives may be
used in the total installed cost
- Minimum of 3,000 annual operating hours
- Must be for new installations or failed variable-speed drives with bypass capability only
- Variable-speed drive must be controlling a system or process with a variable load
- For use with fans, pumps or blowers
- Process must be automatically controlled; manual controls do not qualify
Drives ineligible to receive a rebate from this program include:
Consider These Benefits
- Replacement of working variable-speed drives
- Single-phase variable-speed drives
- Installation of variable-speed drives for the sole purpose of soft starting
- Variable-speed drives for spare inventory
- Installations where applicable code requires a variable-speed drive
- Mechanical-type drives or gear boxes, Eddy Current drives or magnetic coupling, etc.
- Variable-speed drives in heating, ventilating and air conditioning where required by applicable code (ASHRAE 90.1-2007 or IECC 2009)
Variable-speed drive improvements generally will:
- Reduce energy costs
- Improve plant efficiency and load factor
- Ensure precise control of process flow and pressure
- Reduce maintenance costs by reducing stress on the connected motor
For additional resources regarding pumping system improvements, visit
A free guidebook on motors and variable-speed drives is available from the Consortium for
Energy Efficiency at www.cee1.org
MidAmerican Energy also provides financial incentives to help customers
implement energy-efficient equipment
and systems that are not included in our prequalified
equipment lists or addressed in other EnergyAdvantage programs. Cash incentives will be
customized and are based on the qualifying equipment’s higher incremental cost, peak
annual energy use reduction and annual energy cost savings. An application
for the Custom Systems program must be received
and preapproved by MidAmerican Energy
prior to the customer’s purchase and installation of equipment or systems to be
for a rebate. MidAmerican Energy can provide technical assistance to expedite the rebate
View our Custom Systems guidelines
Brochure and Application Form
Learn how adding flexibility to production processes can make a big difference in
operational efficiency by reviewing a full brochure
of our Variable-Speed Drives program. If you're planning a purchase of qualifying equipment or if you've
recently purchased qualifying equipment, apply for a rebate by printing and completing our application form,
which is included in the program brochure.
You must have Adobe Acrobat Reader on your hard drive to view PDF files.
Download a free copy by visiting the Adobe Download Site
Call our representatives at 800-894-9599