Do your part to save energy by allowing us to control the operation of your home air conditioner compressor or
air-source heat pump when the demand for electricity is the highest. SummerSaver is a voluntary program in
which MidAmerican Energy installs a small cycling device on the siding of your home, near the central air
conditioning unit. This device is wired into your existing thermostat control circuit and acts as a switch,
allowing us to cycle your air conditioner compressor off and on during peak usage weekdays in June through
View our SummerSaver
review potential bill credits. You will receive an incentive payment whether a cycling event is called or not.
- Air conditioners are cycled between approximately 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. or for shorter periods between 2 p.m. and 7 p.m., depending on actual need (but never on weekends or holidays).
- Randomized programming is used to vary the starting time for cycling across our service territory so the actual start time for each device varies between 2 p.m. and 2:30 p.m., if cycling begins at 2 p.m., and the corresponding end time is between 7 p.m. and 7:30 p.m., if cycling ends at 7 p.m. The same pattern follows if cycling occurs for shorter periods.
- During cycling periods, the cycling device does not control the indoor air conditioner blower fan, so previously cooled air continues to circulate throughout your home.
- Notifications of SummerSaver cycling days are posted on MidAmerican Energy’s home page during cycling days.
For nonresidential load management information, visit our
Frequently Asked Questions About the SummerSaver Program
- Participants must be residential customers located in MidAmerican Energy Company’s Illinois service territory.
- MidAmerican Energy Company must provide your primary electricity.
- You must own your home to participate.
- Room air conditioners and geothermal heat pumps do not qualify.
- Participation is limited and is available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Caution: SummerSaver is not recommended for households with occupants who have health problems such as
asthma, heart disease or respiratory conditions.
Questions about SummerSaver?
Will I be charged for joining the SummerSaver program?
- No. The cycling device will be mounted on your house and connected to your air conditioner at no cost to you. An outside disconnect switch is required. This also will be installed at no charge.
What do SummerSaver members have to say about the program?
- Most participants say they do not notice when cycling occurs. Your home's insulation level, directional orientation and shade tree coverage are factors that influence cycling's affect on in-home temperatures. Some homes may experience an in-home temperature increase of 3 to 5 degrees during cycling.
How do I receive my incentive for participating in the SummerSaver program?
- Your end-of-season incentive will be credited to your October or November energy bill. One incentive credit is available per household, regardless of the number of air conditioners cycled.
Call 800-437-2976, weekdays, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. or email firstname.lastname@example.org