You can save energy and help the environment with a simple twist of the wrist. Lighting, which accounts for
20 percent of the average home’s electric bill, is one of the easiest and most effective places to start saving.
Just one compact fluorescent light bulb can save an average of $40 or more in electricity costs over its
lifetime. These energy-efficient lighting measures include CFLs, LEDs and exterior lighting.
MidAmerican Energy can help you make the simple switch to energy-efficient lighting with discounted pricing
on select ENERGY STAR®-qualified CFL or LED purchases of 12 light bulbs or less. Discounted pricing
also is available for ENERGY STAR-qualified LED fixtures.
Interior and exterior light bulbs are available. Examples of the most common bulbs in each
What is a CFL?
- Interior – A-line, PAR (flood and spotlights), spiral (CFL) and recessed can LED retrofit kits
- Exterior – A-line (porch/garage) or flood (spotlights), LED (landscape) or halogen
A CFL, short for compact fluorescent lamp, is a miniature version of the fluorescent tube lights found in
commercial ceiling light fixtures, only twisted to fit in the space of incandescent light bulbs. CFLs use
one-fifth to one-third the electricity of incandescent bulbs and last eight to 15 times longer.
What is an LED?
LED stands for light-emitting diode. The light is created by semiconductors. Like CFLs, LEDs are formed to fit
into sockets originally designed for incandescent bulbs. LEDs use less energy and last longer than CFLs.
You can find instant rebates at these types of retailers:
- Home Improvement (e.g., Lowe’s, Menards, Home Depot)
- Mass Merchant (e.g., Walmart)
- Warehouse Club (e.g., Sam’s Club, Costco)
- Hardware (e.g., Ace, True Value, Theisen’s)
- Deep Discounter (e.g., Dollar General, Dollar Tree, Big Lots!)
- Grocery/Drug (e.g., Hy-Vee, Fareway, Walgreens)
- Specialty (e.g., BatteriesPlus)
- Other (e.g., 3E, Van Meter, Adventure Lighting)
- Participants must be residential customers located in MidAmerican Energy Company’s Illinois service territory.
- MidAmerican Energy Company must deliver the primary electricity to the equipment for which the instant rebate is being paid.
- Program lamps are not eligible for additional rebates in other MidAmerican Energy Company programs.
MidAmerican Energy works with many retail and manufacturing partners to provide discounted pricing. The
discounted pricing allows you to receive the lower prices at the cash register and eliminates the
need to fill out rebate forms.
participating retailers, or call 800-339-6856 with questions. MidAmerican Energy offers this program in
conjunction with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s ENERGY STAR program.
For additional information on CFLs and LEDs, review our CFL fact sheet
LED fact sheet
. For information on the proper disposal of
CFLs, visit www.energystar.gov