The EnergyAdvantage® Curtailment program is designed to allow MidAmerican Energy's large commercial or industrial customers in the Illinois counties of Rock Island, Henry, Mercer and Whiteside to receive financial incentives for reducing peak electrical demand. Industrial or commercial customers capable of reducing electricity use by 250 kW or more during peak demand periods are eligible for the program.
Here's How it Works
The Curtailment program is designed to help manage demand for electricity – June
through September – when temperatures are highest. MidAmerican Energy's key
account managers contact participants to issue warnings of potential peak periods two to
12 hours before the actual events. During these periods, customers must reduce their use
of electricity supplied by MidAmerican Energy by at least 250 kW. This can be done by
limiting air conditioning, reducing or shifting the operation of other equipment or by
using auxiliary on-site electrical generation. This program is governed by Illinois
electric tariff Rider CS.
Reducing Energy Pays
Curtailment incentives are based on the contracted kW reduced during peak periods and are payable as rebates at the end of the peak energy season. Determine if your business qualifies for participation in the curtailment program by contacting your MidAmerican Energy key account manager or email email@example.com
Frequently Asked Questions
How can my business help save energy?
- Save energy simply by reducing your electricity use by 250 kW or more at MidAmerican Energy's request. Just use a standby generator, limit air conditioning use or reduce other equipment operation.
When will I be asked to curtail?
- Curtailment periods are usually called on hot summer days when temperatures reach the mid-90s or above.
- In most cases, you will be given a 12-hour notice to curtail, but there may be times when notice is as short as two hours.
How does the Curtailment program work?
MidAmerican Energy will help you calculate an expected demand (the amount of electric demand you normally place on our system between 3 and 5 p.m.), a firm power level (the minimum, or base level of electric demand to which you agree to reduce your consumption), and your load available for curtailment.
1,000 kW Expected Demand (3 - 5 p.m.)
750 kW Firm Power Level
250 kW Curtailable Load
Customers wishing to participate on a year-to-year basis receive a curtailment credit of $40 per kW
curtailed. Customers must reapply for this credit each year and are required to provide a
communication line (telephone or Internet TCP/IP) for interval data transmission. All new program
participants are restricted to a one-year contract. Three-year contracts are offered to participants
who have demonstrated the ability and willingness to perform as required.
What happens if I can't comply when I'm asked to curtail?
If you are notified to curtail and find you are unable to decrease your load to the firm power level, contact MidAmerican Energy immediately.
- It is important that you comply with all mandatory curtailment requests. MidAmerican Energy must maintain a reserve of electric capacity. By curtailing your electric use during periods of high energy consumption, you help us maintain this important reserve.
- If you fail to curtail when requested, MidAmerican Energy may be required to purchase additional capacity to cover the shortfall. You may be asked to pay your proportionate share of this added expense. However, your share will never exceed your annual curtailment incentive.
- If you fail to curtail to your contracted firm power level, the following year your firm power level may be set at an amount equal to the demand you actually experienced. This adjustment may reduce your curtailable load, and thus reduce your incentive as well.
- If you are unable to curtail due to a one-time failure of your standby generating equipment and notify us immediately, MidAmerican Energy may waive any or all of the consequences noted above.
How do I participate?
- Contact your key account manager to calculate your company's curtailable load. You also may contact MidAmerican Energy at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 866-584-0871.
- Provide a data communication line (analog phone, celluar phone or TCP/IP) for interval data transmission.
- Complete and return a Curtailment Program contract prior to March 15 of the contract year.
- New applications will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis.
May I cancel?
- Customers may cancel with 60 days notice, but must pay expenses assessed as a result of a previous failure to curtail that season, if any.
Call our program manager at 866-584-0871
or email email@example.com