Commercial Energy Solutions: Assessments and Optimization
Improve the performance of your commercial building through MidAmerican Energy’s Commercial Energy Solutions program services.
This program promotes comprehensive energy efficiency for existing commercial buildings of all sizes and
through free energy assessments and building optimization services. You can increase your property values by
lowering your monthly operating costs and investing in advanced efficiency technologies, while improving
building operation and comfort.
The assessment is catered to your building size and business needs and includes a review of the facility’s operating equipment and systems. At the end of the assessment you’ll receive a customized report that arms your business with a prioritized, actionable plan for saving energy and reducing operating costs. Each recommendation includes estimated energy and cost savings, project cost, potential rebates and simple payback.
Schedule your assessment
- Equipment rebates – The energy assessment report connects customers to prescriptive and custom rebates as outlined in the nonresidential equipment programs.
- Enhanced incentives – Bonus rebates are available when multiple projects are completed.
- Direct-install measures for small businesses – Gain immediate cost savings! Our energy specialist may install energy efficiency measures at no cost, as appropriate.
- Insulation rebates – An on-site building assessment is required. Visit our energy assessment insulation details page for more information.
and let one of our energy experts answer your questions or schedule your energy assessment.
You also can complete an online form
requesting a callback from
our energy experts to help you get started in enhancing the performance of your building.
Building Optimization Services
Building optimization services are powerful but often underutilized tools for enhancing building operations and increasing
efficiency through low- or no-cost measures and practices. MidAmerican Energy offers two optimization options to meet the
needs of commercial buildings: Express Building Tune-Up
for smaller buildings and Retrocommissioning
larger, more complex facilities.
- Express Building Tune-Up – This service targets smaller buildings that can achieve superior results from
simple retrocommissioning strategies and operator training without having to incur the expense of capital investments to
replace or abandon systems. Participating buildings are typically <100,000 sq. ft., have rooftop units and are free of
major problems requiring costly repairs or replacement of equipment. The goal of an Express Building Tune-Up is to find
easy-to-fix items that will enhance building performance and reduce energy consumption. Examples of corrective measures
- Scheduling programmable thermostats
- Adjusting/adding economizers
- Repairing failed actuators
- Adjusting minimum outside air percentages
- Retrocommissioning – This service targets larger and more complex commercial buildings that can
achieve superior results from intensive retrocommissioning strategies and operator training without having to incur the
expense of capital investments of replacing or abandoning systems. Participating buildings are typically >100,000 sq. ft.,
have a central heating and cooling system, a functional energy management system with direct digital controls and are free
of major problems requiring costly repairs or replacement of equipment. The goal of traditional retrocommissioning is to
optimize existing building systems and reduce energy consumption. Examples of corrective measures include:
- Optimizing economizer and ventilation controls
- Improving equipment sequencing and scheduling
- Optimizing fans and pumps
MidAmerican Energy will fund 50 percent of the express building tune-up survey or retrocommissioning study and additional
incentives are earned based on energy savings ($0.05/kWh and $0.20/therm) from implemented projects. Incentives are capped
at the lesser of:
- 70 percent of total study and implementation cost
- $0.20/square foot of building space
Participants in the Retrocommissioning offering are required to have one person become building-operator certified.
MidAmerican Energy will provide rebates up to $650 to cover the cost of receiving the required Building Operator
. BOC is a nationally recognized training and certification program focused on energy-efficient building
operations and preventive maintenance procedures. BOC training provides building operators with the skills and knowledge
to incorporate energy efficiency into their operations and maintenance practices to reduce energy usage and costs. Visit
for additional information.
How to get started with building optimization services
and let one of our energy experts assist you with determining which service best meets your
building’s needs. You can complete an online form
requesting a callback from our energy experts to help you get started in enhancing the performance of your
- Participants must be commercial customers with facilities located in MidAmerican Energy Company’s Iowa service territory.
- MidAmerican Energy Company must provide the primary electricity and/or natural gas to the equipment at the facility for which the rebate is being paid.
- An on-site building assessment is required prior to beginning an insulation project in order to qualify for an insulation rebate. Any improvements made prior to the assessment are ineligible for rebates.